Monday, November 1, 2010

1st Reformation Day Party

Our 1st Reformation Day Party was great!  And lots of FUN!  The more I researched the subject the more ideas came to my head.  I tried to keep it simple and think I succeeded nicely. 
I started out by explaining what Reformation Day was all about.  We all gathered on the floor and talked about what Luther did.  The older boys had some knowledge of Reformation Day and were happy to help me tell the others about it.
I mainly stressed the importance that we are not saved by good works, but by faith in Jesus Christ. All these children, ages ranging from six down to almost two years old have grown up in church so they had a pretty good understanding of what I meant.  I shared pictures and explained why Martin Luther wrote the 95 Theses. They all knew there were other things to come so we moved on quickly. 

Finally it was time to start the activities! NOTE: There are lots of pictures.  I wanted anyone interested to see all the fun the children had.  Moving on...........

1.I felt it was fitting to begin with what started Reformation Day,  the nailing of the 95 Theses on the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg Germany.



2.They had learned that Luther translated the Bible from Latin to German so the common man could read the Bible himself.  And I explained to them back in the day Martin Luther did not have a pen or pencil like we have today(or computer).  They were all interested in writing with a "quill".  They used feathers I had on hand and washable paint. 




3.After the indoor activities we turned to the most important part of the evening......eating!! You just can't have a party without FOOD.  We decided to do German.  Nothing major just a few samplings of German type foods.
Freshly made Bratwurst, homemade applesauce, dark rye bread, a German cheese spread, warm Wassail and of course a couple of choices of German brew.  All the kids preferred cupcakes and were quickly out the door. 

4.It was time for the Baptismal Apple Dunk(bobbing for apples).  I think Ryan was the only one to get an apple with NO hands.  And he is missing his two top front teeth!! All the others gave up and grabbed one.





Little Lucas enjoying his apple.
 5.The last activity was THE HIT of the party.  The three older boys(Lanny, Ryan and Matthew)were SO excited about this!!!  Boys and FIRE!  They were all worked up and giddy.
This was the burning of Papal Bull.  This was a document sent to Martin Luther from the Pope.  The Pope was wanting Luther to recant everything he had said in the 95 Theses.  Luther said no way and took to the streets and burned the Papal Bull.


Unfortunately my camera is not the best. The boys children were so anxious to watch it burn, so I never had a chance to get a good shot of the Papal Bull going into the fire.  But trust me they all went in.  I am sure the neighbors could hear the children scream with glee as the Papal Bull burned.  They were probably wondering what kind of witchcraft we were up to.  All they could hear is kids screaming and smell the fire.

And here they all are for a quick picture.

And you can't have a party without a treat bag.  Each child received a bag with a coloring page of the Luther Rose(that is what is on the treat bags too)and CANDY!! 

The only thing we missed out on were the costumes. 
I am already making mental notes for our 2nd Reformation Day Party.  


Next year I am in hopes it can be a bigger party with many more joining us.  Hope you enjoyed all the pictures and maybe got some ideas about your own Reformation Day Party.  I sure don't know enough about this mighty Reformer, Martin Luther, but am anxious to learn more.
If you have done a Reformation Day party I would to hear from you.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time had by all! You amaze me. Count me in for next year!!

Christi said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Can we come too next year?!?!?