Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School snacks-Loaded Oatmeal Cookies

It has rained over 6 inches at our house in the past 2 days!  And more to come!  When it is weather like this it makes me want to do one thing.  BAKE! OK that is wrong........it makes me want to sleep too!
But anyway I took the opportunity to get ahead on school snacks.  I put on my apron and baked 6 dozen Loaded Oatmeal Cookies. 
YUMMY!  I allowed myself to have two.  I am trying to cut out all flour and sugar......sad I know, but I had to make sure they were good enough to eat...right? ((wink-wink)) 
With school less than a week away I needed to get started on snacks anyway.  And I wanted homemade snacks. These are not too bad for you and the boys love them.  I forced to hide sweets in our house because they will eat them until they are gone.   So I let the cookies cool, packaged 6 cookies to a baggie and tossed them in the freezer.  I'll take them out and thaw as needed.  Once the baggie is empty, cookies are gone.  I'll store them in the freezer in the garage.  They'll never know!

Loaded Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies, but I doubled the recipe.

4 tablespoons(1/2 stick)unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans(optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease two large baking sheets.

Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then the vanilla.  In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and oats.  Fold into the butter mixture.  Stir in the chocolate chips, raisins, and pecans.
Drop heaping teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking sheets-I did a dozen per cookie sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

*****************************
I leave you with a picture of the boys on this rainy day.  I caught them outside while I was busy baking when it stopped raining briefly.
I can only imagine what they were saying and the look on their faces as they saw this BIG puddle of water under their slide.
If I had been a minute later I am sure they would have been in it!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Those sound yummy, I'll have to try out your recipe this week.

We've had tons of rain too! I wonder if we're both in N TX?

Tasha said...

Hi Nicole! We are in N TX. I didn't realize you were as well.

Janet said...

Oooooh, Tasha, I can just hear those little wheels turning in their minds! "How much trouble do you think we will be in if we just jump in?", "No Matthew, YOU go first." Uh-huh, I'm not going first, YOU go first!" "Do you think Momma will beat us REALLY bad?", "Should we", "Could we?"

You can just see the mischief, even from behind:)
It WOULD NOT DO for them and Sage to get together!

I can just imagine the looks on their faces when you walked out and "caught" them! So funny!

The treats sound great!