Monday, November 28, 2011

Advent Calendar


I am so excited to share my very simple Advent calendar!!!  With no sewing machine I knew I would likely be using paper products.  And I am very happy with how it turned out! 
This was a very inexpensive project and Hobby Lobby was the store to buy my supplies. 

I used the small envelopes and added a strip of scrapbook paper to the bottom for color. Printed out the numbers 1-25, cut them out and simply glued everything on.  Then I punched a hole in the top and added a ribbon.  That is it!!!
Check them out!


Inside each envelope is a story leading up to Jesus' birth.  We will begin on opening them on Thursday morning.  I searched high and low for ideas of what to put in the envelope.  I know some folks put a special treat for children.  And where I think they is fine, I wanted our Advent calendar to only be about the birth of Jesus.......God's Amazing Gift.


I knew exactly where I could find help!  So I  turned to a wonderful blog where I have found lots of great ideas in the past, Mustard Seeds .  Janna always has amazing tutorials!  You must check out her blog.  Sorry I do not have the direct link.  Go to November 12, Advent Countdown on Janna's blog and find the PDF file to download and print out the Advent activity instructions.  Most days we will just read the print out, but on days we have extra time I plan to do the activity.  I LOVE IT Janna!!!

So my sweet little envelopes were made.......now where do I hang them???  These black shutters have hung in the hallway for years now with nothing on them.  I had a thought and went with it.  I am loving the shutters new use at Christmas time!
Brant nailed tiny nails for the ribbon to hang.  Next I added some garland to the top and after I took this picture I decided to add red berries.  Advent calendar done!!!

These will add such a special time for us this Christmas season.  I am so happy I went ahead and made something simple.  So what do you think? 

Have you made an Advent calendar before?  Please share it with me.  If you have a blog and a post on your Advent calendar I would love to share it with my readers.  Leave me a comment. 

I hope I have inspired you to start an Advent calendar.  Mine is so simple you still have time!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the little envelopes, Tasha ♥ What a great idea!

Meagan Dennison said...

fantastic idea! I guess I should get my butt in gear and do it! I know my boys would love this.
We also do a "Joshua Tree" for advent, and each day we read a bible verse that has a corresponding symbol made of felt that we put onto a felt "christmas tree". It goes from creation all the way to Jesus' birth. The boys love doing this every year. I could even put each symbol in one of the envelopes!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Stopping by from MaMe Musings...that is such a beautiful display, and I love the excerpts in each envelope.

I didn't grow up with the idea of an Advent Calendar, but I'm dipping my toe into the water this year with a countdown calendar...which reminds me, I've gotta finish it tonight! ;)

Thanks again for the beautiful inspiration!

Blissful & Domestic said...

I Vole this! you so need to link this up Tasha ! It is fantastic!

Natasha in Oz said...

Hi Tasha! Love your name!

I also love this sweet idea for Advent. You are very creative!

I am hosting an Advent calendar link up as part of my 12 Days of Christmas series at my Christmas blog. I sure do hope you can pop by and link up this wonderful post!

Best Christmas wishes,
Natasha.

Janna said...

I love how you have displayed them on the shutters. Thanks for linking to my blog,too!