Monday, May 20, 2013

I Survived Butcher Day!

Well I did it.  I survived our first butcher day! 

I didn't throw up, didn't freak out and actually thought it was a great learning experience. 

If you missed my post on Friday I'll quickly tell you that Saturday was butcher day.  Our family along with Brant's brother's family butchered 47 pastured raised chickens. 

I'll spare you with all the details, but if you are the least bit interested you can go HERE to read about "Our First Butcher Day". Warning:  there are some graphic pictures.

I know a few of you who are waiting with baited breath to find out the role I played on butcher day.  And contrary to what some may have thought I did do some work.  I did take pictures.  I did cut feet and tails off.  And did eventually pull heads off.  I did handle dead chickens.  I helped in the final cleaning of the dead chickens.  And I did learn more than I could have ever imagined!

What I did not do. I did not do as much as some on butcher day. I did not kill chickens (thank you to my amazing husband and his brother for taking that on).  And I had no part of eviscerating (gutting) the chickens.  I did from time to time have to pull parts of the insides out that were forgotten when I did the final cleaning, but that was as close as I got.  Speaking of gutting the chickens..........Kudos to my SIL who got right there in the action of eviscerating.  Maybe next batch I'll be as brave as you.

My thoughts on this day..........it was a long work day.  But truly satisfying when at the end we saw the fruits of our labor.  Our freezers are now stocked with fresh pasture raised chickens.  Chickens that were fed and cared for in a manner that we are not ashamed of. 


More thoughts on butcher day.....the chicken plucker was by far the most fascinating part of the day.  If you have never heard or seen one that is reason alone to go to the link above to read about "Our First Butcher Day".  A video is in that post.

Right now I am gathering chicken recipes.  And can't wait to have a lovely roasted chicken this week. 

Happy Monday to you.

4 comments:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

You survived!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

yay! You did it!! Look at the bounty you produced from all of your hard work! Nice job girl!! If I can get around to it...I'll try to remember to send you my favorite grilled chicken recipe...the leftovers make the best sandwiches in the world!!

Tasha said...

Yes, I did Amy! It wasn't as hard as I thought.

Tasha said...

Thanks Danni! I'll be cooking one of those chickens tonight. I would love the recipe if you get around to it.