Monday, February 28, 2011

Green Smoothies

I know what you are thinking.......YUCK!  I was very unsure too when I started drinking them a year ago.  And contrary to what you might think(like I did)you are not in the bathroom all day. 

I have tried many different fruits, but have yet to try more vegetables.  The only veggie I use is organic baby spinach.  Baby spinach is a must.  It is much milder and the taste is not so strong.  Belive me.....once regular spinach was on sale so I thought I would try it in my smoothies.  Now that is YUCK!

This morning I made a new concoction and I loved it!  Even the boys tasted it and wanted some!

Strawberry Orange Green Smoothie
5-6 strawberries
half an orange
a bunch of baby spinach(I add about 2 handfuls.....go less at first to get use to the flavor)
1 tablespoon flax seeds
honey to taste
1 cup of water
**(I would have added a frozen banana, but we were out)**

This makes a great breakfast, snack or lunch.  I usually drink this with a slice of Ezekiel bread with a peanut butter schmear for breakfast.  But I also love a green smoothie with a salad for lunch. 
We do lots of smoothies around here and my goal is to start adding the greens in the boys' smoothies.  This morning was a first for them to say they really liked one of my green smoothies.  So maybe we are getting somewhere! 

My favorite is still the Hairy Green Supreme .

Do you drink green smoothies?  I would love to know your favorite!  Leave me a comment....give me your recipe!  And have a green day!

No comments: