Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tuesday Tip-Homemade Scarecrow


You might remember my cute little fallscape with our homemade scarecrow and hay bale.  The boys were so excited to make a homemade scarecrow.  And of course curious to buy it at a feed store.....city boys!  I did adore the cuteness, but after the rain started he soon looked like this.


And then it rained again.  And again!  "Someone" forgot to tell me that this was not a good idea.  And I will admit I never even thought of the weather being a factor.  And we never drilled holes in the wheelbarrow so he sat in water.  For days.  When it would stop raining I would go out dump out the water and just as soon as I was done another downpour would come!  The hay bale was falling apart and ants were finding it to be a great place to make their home.  Throw in the awful SMELL of wet rotting hay and let's say it was just nasty!  So shortly after poor Mr. Scarecrow looked like this.


It was time for plan B. 

Carefully remove wet, smelly hay bale and throw in the back of your truck.   Oh wait---first recruit your husband and his truck.  Give him gloves because the hay bale is full of ants.  Stand back and watch his massive arms throw a wet hay bale in the back of his truck.  And listen closely as he says, "I knew it would not work".  Quietly listen and thank him for all his hard work.  And then say goodbye to Mr. Scarecrow. 

Next have Honey drill holes in the wheelbarrow because rain is coming AGAIN!  Set up new fallscape of simple mums, pumpkins and a cute flag and call it done.




Tuesday Tip:  When making a homemade scarecrow it might be best to plan to have him under a porch.  The weather is brutal on such a delicate guy.  And in my opinion hay bales are suited for much dryer climates. 

1 comment:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I love your new fall display! I loved the scarecrow too. Having made about a bizillion scarecrows, I'll just say that the ones standing with frames drain and dry out quicker and last a lot longer!