Thursday, October 17, 2013

We're Traveling with Passports! And I Have a Recipe!

 
I am not sure I would let these characters into my country.  They look like trouble!  But they have "official" passports now to travel.  I can't tell you enough how much I love our curriculum !  Especially this year with so much to offer the boys as we "travel" all over the world to see many different countries and cultures. 

Last week we started our journey and crossed the border into Mexico.  We'll finish up our trip in Mexico this week and then cross another border.  So far in Mexico...........

 
We have "walked" the streets learning about the culture, ate carnitas (street tacos) ,  made sugar skulls for the Day of the Dead festival and hope to make tissue paper flowers to finish the week.
 
 
The only thing that is missing is sopapillas......maybe a weekend project??
 
 
Sidenote:  the link above for carnitas is a must try!  We have made carnitas before cooking the meat for hours.  And it is really good.   That recipe is here on the blog.  BUT this recipe/link above is a crockpot recipe. Cooking the meat all day---but unattended.  Let's just say it is my new way of cooking carnitas.  We've had it several times and it does not disappoint. 
Wonderful Mexican flavors and the entire family loves it! 
That alone makes any recipe a keeper
Don't shy away from the ingredients....it gives it the Mexican flavor carnitas should have.  The only one I don't use is the chipotle hot sauce.  I felt it might be too spicy for the boys.  All other ingredients I do add.  After cooking the meat you then place under the broiler to crisp up the edges.  So good! 
My favorite way to eat a carnita: on a corn tortilla of course with fresh cilantro, avocado and lime juice.  Perfection!
 
Mexican beer is optional.
Carnitas the way all the guys eat them: sour cream, Monterrey Jack cheese, cilantro and fresh lime juice. 
 
Now go have a Mexican Fiesta!

1 comment:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

How fun! I think I would have liked school even more if you were my teacher! I thought of you yesterday when I used your PSL recipe! Thank you girl! Off to revisit the carnitas!