Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Homeschool Momma's Rant

We are in our fourth year of homeschooling the boys.  It is not a decision we considered lightly.  And daily the evil one tries his best to shake me to the ground screaming hoping I'll throw in the towel.

I'll admit there may days I scream (in my closet or garage), but I do not intend on throwing in the towel.

From time to time I encounter individuals who feel they need to tell me how I should be homeschooling my children.  And nine times out of ten these people have never homeschooled their own children!!  And quite franklin do not know as much as I do, nor have they spent the time researching it as much as I have over the past four-five years. 

My very favorite is the predictable, worn-out question, “But what about their social life?”

Or the one usually from public school parents, "So what are they reading/learning right now? Suzie is reading _______ and learning about _______."  I truly am happy for little Suz, but there is NO set rules or guidelines for learning contrary to what the public school system would have you believe. 

To avoid letting my angry cRaZiNeSs take over this post I will simply share just a few of my favorite homeschool quotes.  In no certain order and some just for FUN! 



I still have no clue who this guy is????


♥ ♥ ♥




There is a shirt with this on it.  Christmas list!





Or what I call "house clothes".


Bottom line is we homeschool because it is right for our family.  It may not be right for you.  And I would never try to tell you otherwise.  It is a personal decision. 

Now to all my public school teacher friends:  if I knew without a shadow of a doubt my boys could have you in a classroom year after year, I would sign them up. 

I am NOT bashing ALL public schools.  Or public school teachers! 
And to all you homeschooling parents:  Keep swimming!  Don't listen to the negative comments and stand firm in what you believe!!!!!

Homeschooling the boys IS the best decision we ever made!  HANDS DOWN!
 
OK, I'm done.......stepping down now.  Enjoy your day. 

3 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

You go girl! I agree, home schooling is not right for everyone. It certainly wasn't for me, nor for my kids. But I sure know plenty of people and kids it's a perfect fit for...including you! I admire you for it and the discipline required.

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

I think like a lot of things in life, people are quick to judge and share their opinions. I truly believe, you do what you think is the best for your children, you know yourself, you know them, you know what works and what doesn't. Follow your heart and it will never lead you wrong.

Unknown said...

It's interesting, isn't it. People have no problem with telling others how to live their lives. Sometimes people ask me if I "recommend" homeschooling for everyone. I say quite simply, "no." I do not. It's a heck of a lot of work, a huge commitment and the most rewarding thing you'll ever do. But it's not for the faint of heart.

There is no break from each other, you are Mom and teacher. You must hold yourself accountable, and provide the structure and direction for everyone, while at the same time running a household and social calendar. And some of us are even gainfully employed on top of all that.

BTW, "That guy" is Ryan Gosling, from The Notebook. Tell me you've seen that movie... ?!? If not, put it on your see it someday list! (bring kleenex.)

DFTGA (Don't forget to be awesome)
Lisa