Thursday, August 26, 2010

All day

Yesterday was such a great day to be outside.  And the boys spent every moment possible out in the back yard.  They only came in briefly when it started raining. 
We dug up three of the four raised bed gardens in order to prepare for our Fall gardens.  This was such a delight for the boys. We saw all kinds of God's creatures as we pulled up plants in the garden.  Bugs, prickly caterpillars and geckos!  Oh and a few worms!

  As I pulled vine after vine of cucumber, squash, cantaloupe and watermelon, the boys would look for fruits or vegetables to pick.  There were a few.  They gathered them up and toted them all around the yard.

The three of us tried to pull up this one huge okra plant that was about 5 feet tall.  The boys tried and tired, but just could not do it. Ryan even tried to saw it down with our garden school sign.  None of us could get it down, but I knew someone strong who could. :)



That's right,  my manly man did it the first try.
When he got home more work began and the boys were right along side him having a ball.  We removed all weeds from the garden beds and I even tilled the soil with this hand held tool...a hoe?.....man that is hard work.
Brant had some extra wood from planter boxes and the boys were all over it!!  I think this was the most fun for them.  Wood and boys....how do they just know to build things?!
They used the wood to make see saws, gang planks around the garden beds and this nice little hiding place.

Matthew then had this GREAT idea of taking the wood and making a sand box or club house.  I had this GREAT idea of closing in their fort.  We'll see what Daddy thinks.  Matthew requested a meeting yesterday with Brant to tell him how to make a sandbox with 4 pieces of wood.  And even how many nails he would need for each piece of wood.  Can you tell they watch their Daddy work?  God, I am so thankful for a hard working man/Daddy that can work. I am certain without a doubt these little boys will be the same.
The fun just never seemed to run out for them.  All the produce they gathered earlier in the day turned into balls to throw and make a mess.  Fruits and veggies all over their slide...a total mess, but lots of fun for little boys!
It was days like yesterday I long to live on a big piece of land where the boys can roam and explore.  A place I can't hear the highway(North Beach-6 lanes of traffic).
For now I am very thankful for where we live. 
As I type the boys are outside building things with the wood.  It is a little warmer today with the sun out, but it feels too good for them to be indoors. I think if Matthew had a hammer and nails he just might be able to build them something himself.
I am sure lunch will be served on the picnic table or in the fort today.
It is surely going to be another day of being out ALL DAY. 


Did you notice their shirts?  They will not be able to wear them much longer. 
In this picture they are screaming, "Future Homeschooler!"  And "We love nature!"
And I had nothing to do with what came out of their mouths!  Makes this Momma proud :)

2 comments:

Janet said...

You know what? You may not have wide open spaces, but I say you are doing a pretty darn good job of blooming where you are planted:), and teaching your boys to do the same!

Plumrose Lane said...

What a darling slice of life you have, loved visiting! Thanks so much for entering my giveaway and for finding me!
♥Sharon