Thursday, August 19, 2010

Trail Mix Bars

In my search for school lunches it hit me that I will also need snacks.  To be honest my boys are big time snackers anyway.  They will graze all day long if we let them.  So I knew I needed some yummy NEW snacks.  I want to get back in the habit of homemade snacks too!  Well here is one of four semi-healthy snacks I will share in the next few weeks.  I am trying them out to make sure they are keepers with the boys.
Ryan gave them 2 thumbs up and Matthew 10 fingers up.......he said that means they are really good!



Trail Mix Bars
4 Tbls(1/2 stick)unsalted butter
3 Tbls honey
1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup Cheerios
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup salted peanuts or pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Line 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. 

Put the butter and honey in a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted.  Set aside to cool.

Put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Add the cooled butter mixture and mix well.  Transfer to the prepared pan and press down firmly with the bottom of a measuring cup.  bake for 30 minutes or until the center is just firm to the touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then mark into eight bars, using a sharp knife.  Allow to cool completely before lifting from the pan.  Store in an airtight container.

**Notes**
-I used unsalted peanuts because the sunflower seeds were salted. 
-Recipe said 8 bars. I cut ours up smaller so I had a lot more.  I never got a good count because they started eating quicker than I could count.

I like that this is a small recipe. An easy recipe to make on short notice. Super quick and easy!
Perfect for a snack or for breakfast with some yogurt and fruit.  Enjoy!

No comments: