Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A is for Apple

You guessed it!  We are learning the letter "A" and about apples this week.  After a very busy Monday morning we finally made it to the grocery store.  My plan was to buy one apple of each variety.  We bought nine.  There may have been a few more, but I felt this was plenty!
Here is what we bought:
Granny Smith       Golden Delicious     Red Delicious  
Jazz                     Gala                        Fuji(my favorite!)
Sonya                  Honeycrisp             McIntosh

As usual I am loving the lessons so far.  Today was a great opportunity to share with the boys that if we live and grow in Jesus we will have fruit.  Thanks to VBS this summer they knew exactly what I was talking about it.  And could not wait to tell me.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
                                                                                     —Galatians 5:22-23
After our lesson we had  two more things left to do.  Color a fruits of the spirit tree and make APPLEsauce.  As the boys colored I peeled, cored and chopped apples.  I let the boys pick out the apples to make the applesauce.  Ryan picked Golden Delicious and Matthew Gala.  We all had a sample of the two apples and discussed the difference. 
After the apples cooked for a bit it was time to mash and add some cinnamon and sugar.  And sprinkles!





Homemade applesauce is good!  I had never made it so I have a new treat......for me at least. 
We have a full week of apple fun!  And I pray I can be aware of my attitude and actions to set a Godly example for the boys.  I am the one person they see the most.  My attitude, actions, words, thoughts, etc. should constantly be showing the fruits of the spirit.
Love, Joy, Peace, Patience(hard one!), Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control(another one!).  You see where I am weak. 
The only way I can improve in any of these areas is to have a constant line of communication with my Heavenly Father. Praying, talking to Him and spending some quiet time with Him.
Because through him I can do all things.  Life gets busy and crazy sometimes, but without Him I am weak and hungry and life seems miserable.  His word is like food to me.  I need it everyday to help me make it through my day. 

 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

                                                                             John 15: 4-5

3 comments:

Blissful & Domestic said...

Thank you for your words. For some reason it wasn't dawning on me how much my children really do see me. I mean it is obvious, but maybe something we take for granted. I am their example all day long. No wonder they lose their patience when I lose mine. Thank you for the reminder:>

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to learn! What is this curriculum you are using to learn the alphabet? Looks really neat. I love how it takes everyday things and uses them to teach. I love all the apple photos you have taken ♥
Kelsey

Anonymous said...

Your applesauce looks so YuMmY ~