Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fiesta Chicken and more!

It's no secret I am not crazy about cooking.  Baking and making up yummy goodness is another story.
Anyway I have been trying to cook more and try new recipes.  This one is a keeper and surprisingly got a thumbs up from all three boys.  It is super easy and is a crock pot recipe!  You can't get any better than that!

Fiesta Chicken
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

3-4 chicken breasts, thawed
2 cans black beans(drained and washed)
1 can corn drained
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 onion(chopped)
1 (8 oz)package of cream cheese

Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in crock pot.  Add chopped onion, beans, corn and salsa.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is done.  Once chicken is done, take it out and shred it.  Return shredded chicken to crock pot. 
Add the cream cheese(just throw it on top)and let sit for 30 minutes.  Stir it in and you have dinner.  Or lunch.  I served it with rice in a bowl with the option to put in a warm flour tortilla.   
**Other options for more flavor: green chiles or hotter salsa(I used mild because of the boys).  Brant just used Tabasco to make his spicier.
Next time I make it I will add green chiles to the crock pot.  And serve it with cheese.  I think some chips and salsa would be great with this. 

And of course you must have something sweet after that. What about no bake cookies with FALL sprinkles. I almost always have all these ingredients on hand. Super easy and I have been making these since I was a kid.  I am sure you know this recipe, but just in case here it is.

No Bake Cookies

Melt in saucepan:
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
2 tbs cocoa
Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 1 minute. 
Remove from heat and add:
1/2 cup peanut butter and 3 cups oatmeal(uncooked-I have used both quick oats and old fashioned)
Drop on wax paper and let sit for about 15-20 minutes.  ENJOY!
They are not a pretty cookie, but oh so yummy, quick and easy!  That is a must in a house with 2 little boys that have a sickness for sweets.

No comments: