Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mod Podge Pumpkin

Blue, I love you!


I know my month of pumpkin ended Sunday, but when I saw a picture last week of a Mod Podge pumpkin I had to give it a try.  I! LOVE! IT! 

This was super easy, BUT I will admit it was a big hairy mess. After seeing it next to my blue pitchers the big mess was all worth it. 

 I love it so much next to the blue pitchers maybe it will stay out past Thanksgiving. All year!

So here is what you will need to make one.  It is a short list.

Supplies:
-a pumpkin(I used a Funkin which was 66% off at Hobby Lobby)
-scrapbook paper
-Mod Podge
-sponge brush


This is why my pumpkin was 66% off.  I wanted a smaller sized pumpkin and it was the only one left on the shelf.  I saw it was damaged, went straight over and ask for a manager.  I showed her the damage and she gladly gave an extra percentage off the already sale price.  It never hurts to ask!!!!

Since I knew I would be covering the damage it was no big deal for me. I used a fake pumpkin, but I am sure you could use a real.  My thoughts were that I would just have to throw a real one away eventually so I spent a little($4)on a fake one.
 

Now lets get started with the pumpkin.

Start by cutting your scrapbook paper in strips to glue(Mod Podge)on the pumpkin.  I started with strips this size. See picture below.

 My hands were a total mess so I did not get a picture during the process.  I first glued strips all around leaving a little room in between each strip of scrapbook paper.  After those were all glued on I then went back to cover the little in-between areas.  And with the help of my handsome assistant(my amazing husband)he then cut different sizes to overlap the already glued strips. 

Remember when using Mod Podge it will look milky while drying, but it does dry clear.  Again do not have a picture of it drying because my hands were a mess.  And I was so taken by my handsome assistant's handsomeness I forgot to ask him to take a picture.

The boys really want to do their real pumpkins like mine.  I have yet to give the OK.  Because a pumpkin is round and has grooves, it does make it hard for the scrapbook paper to lay down. I think they would get mad and give up.  Leaving me with two more pumpkins to Mod Podge.  Hey, wait that might be a good idea!

You will have to work with it and as it dries go back and press down the spots that want to come up. 

It is not perfect, but I love anything with character!


 

9 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

That is such a cute idea! I LOVE it. Thanks for sharing.

tiffiny said...

Cute! I'm going to try this!

Marilyn said...

This is so awesome..love it..I found you over at Wow me Wed and had to stop in..Officially following ya with smiles..Great blog you have here with tons of creativity..Hope u can visit me sometime via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com TY.
PS: Project Pink Blog Link Party is this weekend the 30th, would love for you to join over 50+ bloggers go PINK for breast cancer..You can find out more here..Wishing u a great week..
http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/paint-your-blog-pink-awareness-faith.html

Elise Engh said...

Looks great! I love the colors and patterns you picked out for your pumpkin. Isn't modge podge great?

http://growcreative.blogspot.com

Blissful & Domestic said...

love it! love all the crafts you're doing:>

Katalina Jewelry said...

Thanks for sharing this idea! You've turned a basically boring pumpkin into something special!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

First, great deal on the pumpkin! It looks so cute. The papers you picked work really well together. Much better to do it with a fake pumpkin and have it to enjoy for years to come. I am a new follower from Ginger Snap Crafts. Vicky from www.messforless.net

Anonymous said...

Usefulness and significance of your ides is awesome. Examine most wanted infinite treasure of online deals, coupons and much more for your dearest brand name.
www.bestcouponfor.com