Monday, October 24, 2011

DIY Canvas Photo

Inspired by many, created by ME!

Here lately I have seen tutorials all over showing how to apply a photo to canvas.  It looked easy enough so I had to give it a try.

After destroying two photos I finally came up with the one above.  Although I would do a few things different when I make my next one I love the finished product!

Here are the supplies I used: 
canvas(found in clearance section Hobby Lobby for $2) 
card stock copy paper to print same size photo as canvas
MATTE mod podge(make sure you use MATTE...I did not and regret it!) 
scrapbook paper
acrylic paint

I failed to take pictures of all my supplies prior to adding the picture to the canvas.  And I'll be honest I wasn't sure what a canvas was at first.  So I found an images online if there are others that are wondering.

I went straight to the clearance section at Hobby Lobby and just so happen to find one marked down.  But you can find them in the art section. They come in all kinds of sizes. I saw some as little as 4x6 all the way up to 11x16.  Have fun with it!  Try a big one!

Now moving on to the project................
First, cut strips of scrapbook paper to fit each side of the canvas. Cut them just slightly shorter and narrower than the sides. Apply lots of mod podge and glue strips on each side.  Mod Podge the photograph to the top of the canvas.  I used wax paper to work on so it would not stick while drying. Allow to dry completely.
You can see the scrapbook paper on the end here.  By the way this was attempt #1.  I ruined the picture because I used paper that was way too thin.  So I moved on to card stock printer paper.  Much better, but I should have used the MATTE Mod Podge.
Next: Apply a coat of mod podge over the entire surface, the edges and the picture. Allow to dry completely again. It will look milky at first, but will dry clear. 
After it is dry use a sponge or cloth to dab on acrylic paint to cover any spaces between the scrapbook paper strips and the photograph. I smudged up the corners too. The paint adds a little texture to the picture that I thought looked like a painting.  It worked for me.
I am anxious to try another one soon!
So now this picture of me and the sweet boys(they were three years old)at the pumpkin patch sits on our mantle for fall.
This was super easy!  I had a new photo on display in no time!!
I look forward to trying a smaller size too.
These would make great Christmas gifts!  Family, do you have a particular photo of the boys you want me to add to canvas?

5 comments:

championm2000 said...

Great idea and one I will definitely try!

Great pic of you and the boys, btw!

Anonymous said...

Love your picture! I have bookmarked this project too and want to give it a try...

Blissful & Domestic said...

The canvas is awesome1 I love it! I am going to feature it one my facebook page:>

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Wow!! These are beautiful! Found you via Happy Hour Projects! Love for you to link to our Things I've Done Thursday Link party. I also have a give-away going on for a custom blog button!

Melanie
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-ive-done-thursday-and-blog.html

Inspiring Imagery said...

Lovely pictures....thanks for the guide on how you did this.