Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Outdoor Decorating with PUMPKINS!

I absolutely love decorating my front porch for fall!!!!!  Fall is my very favorite season so it makes it easy for me.  I look forward to it each year.  And each year brings new and different ideas.  Some I keep and some I ditch to the side.  I had leftovers from last fall so that helped a little this year.

If I could line the porch, drive-way and sidewalk with a 100 pumpkins I would!!!  I love decorating with PUMPKINS for fall.  BUT my budget will not allow that. I am a frugal gal and I budget for everything!!! So I did what I could this year, but really like the end result.......simple and sweet.


Leftovers:
-grapevine wreath with some sunflowers.
-scarecrow....this is probably his last fall....he keeps falling over and his hat is coming off!
New stuff
-3 bunches of sunflowers for the wreath($1 each from Dollar Tree)
-2 big pumpkins from Aldi...cheapest in town($2.98 each!)
-mini scarecrows from Michael's($1.50 each....on sale)
-2 small pumpkins from Home Depot(these were a splurge....$2.99 each! YIKES, but the boys wanted to color on one...I know I am a sucker!)
-corn stalks in pot by the door....these were from our garden back in the summer.  SO happy I saved them.($0.00)
-mini pumpkins hanging on mini flag hanger.(2 for $1.00 x 4=$2)


Close to $20 to decorate the porch.  BUT it was all done in stages. I bought a little one week and more the next.  And then more the next. It took me about 3 weeks to get everything.  Not just because of money, but because I couldn't figure out what exactly I wanted to do.  And I had the urge to add more and more. $20 was plenty for a seasonal touch to the porch!
 
Now on to the fall porch!

This was a vision I had!!  And I love it!!
I love my hanging pumpkins!!!  I have had fall flags in the past, but by the time fall is over they are so tattered and torn by the wind I end up throwing them away.  I had this vision for my mini flag hanger and just adore it!!!  Cute?  Different.   

This pot is in complete shade.  There is not much that will grow under the porch in complete shade.  And since winter is not too far away I opted this fall to not plant anything in it.  There have been falls I buy a plant/flower only to watch it die under the porch.  This year I opted to save a plant and toss a pumpkin in the pot.


Add another pumpkin to the side and it looks festive and welcomes all who come to our door. 
And the cornstalk from our garden made it that much more special.  I am weird I know, but it thrilled me to death to add cornstalks that had come from "our" garden. BTW, have you seen the prices on cornstalks?!
 And then there are the little pumpkins the boys had to have.  I tried my best to have them draw a cute face, but I knew this is what it would come to.
My splurge for the porch.......oh well they like them and that is all that matters. 

Since we decorate for fall and not Halloween this will all be able to stay out until Thanksgiving. So almost two months of enjoying my fall/pumpkin decorations.
It is still early in October and I have plenty of time to add pumpkins to the front.  I am up to eight pumpkins and only have 92 more to go!

4 comments:

Lauren Fontenot said...

Which pumpkin did Matthew decorate, and which pumpkin did Ryan decorate?

championm2000 said...

I like how you repurposed the flower pot in the shady area...good thinking!

Meagan Dennison said...

I LOVE the hanging mini pumpkins...

Anonymous said...

Love the big PuMpKiN in the pot with the corn stalks!!! Makes me want to do something on my new porch...