Saturday, November 12, 2011

Scrumptious Saturdays-Coffee Lovers' Coffee Cake

I am bringing back Scrumptious Saturdays!!  I think...... 

With the cooler weather it has been much more pleasant to be in the kitchen trying out new recipes.  Summer killed my adventure to make new things!!!!

Anyway I am in hopes I will have at least one recipe a week to share with you.  So without further ado check out this yummy snack cake.

Photo courtesy by Oxmoor House
This is from my Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook.  And let me just tell you it has some scrumptious recipes!!!  I have many pages marked already!

This is one of those make ahead type cakes and an editor's favorite.  It has a buttery coffee crumb mixture that makes a shortbreadlike crust.  An easy snack cake!

I got a wild hair on Thursday night at 7:45 and decided to make it.  I am certain it would be wonderful minutes out of the oven with, of course, a cup of coffee.  I did have a piece yesterday morning and it was amazing!  Check out this easy recipe!

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preparation

  • Combine flour and coffee granules in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt; stir well. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9" square pan; set aside.
  • Combine sour cream and baking soda, stirring well. Add to remaining crumb mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg, stirring gently to combine. Pour sour cream mixture over crumb crust in pan; sprinkle with pecans.
  • Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
I hope you get a chance to make it soon!  My favorite part of it is you can taste a little bit of coffee in every bite.  The boys enjoyed it too!  I knew they would.....they have been raised on coffee-milk for breakfast.

What scrumptious recipe are you cooking up this weekend?

2 comments:

championm2000 said...

Wish I lived closer...I be over for coffee and cake :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful!