Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homemade Parmesan Bread

You've come a long way baby!

Well maybe those were not his exact words......he left off baby.  But he did say it!
I am talking about my very patient husband who has waited for years for me to get back in kitchen!  To cook!!!!

You may remember me talking about wanting to make more things homemade and learned to make more breads.  Well baby, I got it!

I almost have this bread making thing!!!  And by hand!!!  Still no machine!

He made a comment yesterday and said, "You have come a long way".  And I have!  He was referring to me in the kitchen.  Trying new things and just basically being in the kitchen more often!

Sorry to sound like I am patting myself on the back, but you have no idea just how far I have truly come.  After the boys were born(2005)I pretty much walked away from doing anything in the kitchen.  Oh sure I made very simple meals, but was not in the least bit interested in trying new things. 

But things have changed!!!!

I think the most important part in all of this is, I am enjoying it. 
I am loving my time in the kitchen. 
And I am feeling more confident. That is a big help!

I still have those moments where I totally mess up and get very uneasy about cooking. But when I do mess up, I try to figure it out.  If that means consulting with the experts(wonderful husband, Mom, sister-in-law, nieces or friends)then I just do it.  And we all know that you learn best when you do make a mistake. 

OK enough of all that.  I must share this amazing bread recipe. 

Look at all that CHEESE!

We love bread and we love cheese. The two together make my mouth water. My first yeast bread was a cheese bread, but it was just not cheesy enough. 

Well this one is not the same!!!!  It is super cheesy!  So I will warn you....you must like cheesy madness.

I found this recipe in the Southern Living Annual Recipes Cookbook-20th Anniversary Edition.
It was submitted by Velma McGregor in Gretna, Virginia.  If you know Velma please tell her thanks for the recipe!  And ask if she has anymore she wants to share.

It is so full of flavor.  And tasted very much like some of those bakery breads full of yummy stuff.  The only difference here is this was ALL homemade and I can pronounce every ingredient in the recipe!  Score for homemade!!!!

The house was smelling so delicious as it baked!!!!  And since this is now my 3rd bread making experience I can say it was not bad at all.  Pretty simple. 

So here is the recipe.  Hope you get a chance to make it soon!

Parmesan Bread
1(1/4 ounce)envelope active dry yeast
1 cup warm water(105* to 115*)
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 cup butter melted
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 tablespoon butter, melted

~Combine yeast and warm water in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand for 5 minutes.
~Combine yeast mixture, 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup butter, and next 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
Gradually stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup flour to make a soft dough.
~Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
~Punch dough down, and place in a greased 2-quart casserole. Brush with 1 tablespoon of melted butter; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese.
~Cover and let rise in a warm place, 45 minutes or until doubled.
~Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool in casserole on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from casserole, and let cool completely on wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks amazing ♥ Homemade bread is really an art. You don't need all those gadgets. I think that doing it by hand is the best, keep it SiMpLe ♥ HeAlThY ♥ and HoMeMaDe. I bet all your boys are smiling with those wonderful things coming from your kitchen:)

Brittany said...

Yum! Looks delicious!

Renee said...

Tasha,
Your bread looks wonderful,we will try it out very soon.I'm glad to see you haven't given up.I think it is very, very important for we Christian homemakers to remain teachable through out our many seasons in life, and in the kitchen. You know I had our father in law come over to show me how to make Tea Cakes,I did it for my family. Keep it up!

Blissful & Domestic said...

I am seriously so proud of you lady!! This bread looks amazing and I will definitely be trying it this week. Have a great week Tasha;) you rock the kitchen!!