Wednesday, February 22, 2012

HOMEMADE Vanilla Extract

I have wanted to make this for a L O N G time!!!  I finally decided it was too easy not to and in the long run will save me a bunch of money.

I go through a lot of vanilla extract with all the baking I do.  The cost is insane at the grocery store. It is almost $7 for a little four ounce bottle!!! 

It was time to make my own!!!

All you need are vanilla beans, vodka(use a lower end brand...save the good stuff for drinking if you like it), and bottles or jars.  Any container that closes well will do. Fill your containers with vodka, split the vanilla beans, and add to vodka. Close your container tightly and place in a cool, dark location for about two months. Shake occasionally.

That’s it! 

I searched many food blogs looking for the recipe.  All were a little different as far as how many beans to vodka as well as the timing.  The majority went with 2 beans per 12oz vodka or 3 beans per 8oz vodka.  The time it takes to "make" the vanilla extract was anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months.  I am going with 2 months and see what it looks like.

I made mine with a pint of vodka and 4 vanilla beans.  We'll see how it turns out.  The hardest part will be waiting to see and taste my homemade vanilla extract.

Bottle from Ross for $2.49.  Vanilla beans bought at Kroger and World Market.  Save money and order your vanilla beans from Amazon.  I will next time!!!!!  FYI-the color will get darker as the days go by.


This picture was added on March 1-nine days after I made it.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Vanilla beans are expensive!

Tasha said...

Vanilla beans can be very expensive, but that is why I suggested you order from Amazon. And like I said in the long run it will indeed save you money IF you bake as much as I do. This is doable!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'd have never considered making my own, very clever! I agree with you, definitely order from Amazon, they will save you money most of the time on items like vanilla beans.
Thanks for linking up at my *Get Creative* party this week!
-Molly
http://www.justalittlecreativity.blogspot.com

Adrianne Surian said...

Tasha, I made this after reading your post! :) I'm a few days shy of my 2 months, but I do have a post going up next week about it, and I linked to you for giving me the idea. Thanks so much for sharing - mine turned out great! How is yours?

Adrianne
Happy Hour Projects