Monday, April 16, 2012

An Old Fashioned Backyard Birthday Party


 
 
Saturday was the boys' birthday party.  It was just an old fashioned backyard party.

(Warning: there are a ton of pictures...sit back and enjoy!)

We started celebrating on Wednesday with Brant's parents...their real birthday.  It continued on Friday with my parents and sisters and then Saturday was the grand finale.  It was all truly a bit much and next year will indeed be a little different.

BUT I am happy for the time we got to spend with family.  And friends on Saturday!  Nothing makes birthday memories more fun than to look back and remember who was there.

We love to celebrate birthdays around here, but I do my best to stay within a budget for the whole shebang......gifts, cake, decorations, etc. 

This year the boys wanted to do "something" with friends.  It went from each inviting a friend to a baseball game to riding go-carts and finally a party with friends.  The final decision was pushed by yours truly. I knew if they wanted to invite lots of friends I could get more bang for my buck if I did it all.

(Note to self and to YOU----children are easier to please than what you think!)

The whole old fashioned backyard party came from searching sites and blogs.  When I saw the idea of a plain Jane party outside with games I knew it was perfect for my budget. 

Next I started thinking of a theme.  The boys had plenty of ideas, but I was pretty sure I wanted to do generic. 

Then one day I was in Target and found some super cute fabric banners for $1.88.  I always have an eye out for clearance stuff!!!  Fabric banners for $1.88?! 
That was it!!!  And there the vision began.

The old fashioned backyard birthday party came to me!!!!

I had this vision of bright colors everywhere.  The banners, balloons, LOTS of balloons and streamers everywhere!!!  On the patio, hanging from the cover, in the trees and on the fence!  EVERYWHERE!!!  I could picture it all.

Table covers in bright colors. Napkins, bowls, spoons and cups in all different BRIGHT colors.  I could see it all in the great OUTDOORS with the green grass as a backdrop.  Oh it was all coming together!!!!

And the games we could play!!!! 

Backyard games---ring toss, horseshoes, hula hoops, egg races, sack races!!!!! 

It was going to be GREAT!!!!!!

But little did I know then that there would be gusts of winds up to 40 mph on the day of their party!!!!   

So the whole party vision was on stand by.  There was a chance for rain all week so I knew I had to have a plan B.  The rain was soon out of the forecast and we just got the massive winds.  Way too windy for tablecloths, napkins, plastic silverware, etc.  Basically everything I had bought, but the banners had to be indoors.

The games and lots of outdoor fun remained outside.  Cupcakes, ice cream and gifts we went indoors for.  It really all worked out just fine. 

No, it was not exactly what I had planned.  But no one cared about the changes. And now I don't care either.  After seeing how much fun all the kids were having, it really didn't matter about my vision.  Smiles and laughter won out!!!


I had stations set up for hula hoops, horseshoes and ring toss.  I found the idea and thought it was fabulous!!!
Hey! That is NOT the hula hoop station!!




For the most part all the kids ran around like cRaZy!!!  Yes that would be Ryan and Matthew leading the pack of craziness!!!!

And there was swinging and climbing too!!!



And then it was time for the races. 

The sack race!!!! 

We used pillow cases for the sacks.  Worked out fine.


And the egg race! 

I had "planned" to use plastic eggs from Easter, but I knew the wind would blow those right out of the spoons.  At the last minute we decided to go ahead with the race and use real eggs.  It was more FUN anyway!  Some held the spoon in their hand and others held it with their front teeth.


Matthew gave me the go ahead for cupcakes so we all piled in the dining room.  It was his idea months ago for everyone to decorate their own cupcake.  The boys wanted mini chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, sprinkles and gummy worms for the toppings.  To save money I baked the cupcakes.  I used a box mix and can icing for this occasion.  I have never made homemade cupcakes and was not about to try it for this.  I did go ahead and put icing on each cupcake and then let the kids do the rest.

Because we had the party from 2-4 I did not provide much in the way of snacks.  That is another way you can save money when having a kids' party. 

I did have out white cheddar popcorn, pretzels and a Chex mix.....look for closeouts on your grocery store.  The Chex mix I picked up was on closeout at Kroger.  On a fluke I picked it up for the party.  Everyone LOVED it!

They were all so good about being cramped.  Good thing they were all very sweet kids!!!

It ALL went so fast that after cupcakes and opening gifts we still had plenty of time for a stand by activity. 

Sidewalk chalk art!!!!


It was such a FUN party!!!  And I had lots of fun planning for it!!  I did not blow my budget by much if any.  I did most everything myself or made sure I was watching my pennies.  Kids are pretty easy to please for the most part.  Think simple and don't have too many choices.

While all the outdoor activities were going on I had a big bucket of small bottled waters on ice.  Free for the taking for the the kids and adults.  And with cupcakes I had a punch.  I also served ice cream as well. Which I felt was a waste.  I threw away lots of full ice cream cups.  So maybe just cupcakes and punch next time!!

Having a FUN birthday party for your children does not have to break the bank.  You just have to be willing to do the work and use your creative mind.   Oh I could have easily gone way over the top with this theme!  But really when it comes down to it who is going to remember the big stuff.  YOU!  And it was not about me.  It was about the boys.  AND because I am a budget kind of gal I kept it simple.

And by going generic with the decorations I now have plenty of leftovers for a SUMMER PARTY!!!  I can't wait to use the cute banner again!!!! 

Each child left with a generic paper bag full of outdoor fun.  And I totally forgot to take a picture.  This was way out of my comfort zone I must say.  I just do not believe in giving favors out, but the boys begged......I am a sucker for begging twin boys!  The bags had plastic bugs, bubbles, airplanes, water guns, bug stickers, sidewalk chalk and candy.  Dollar stores and Party City were the place to buy these items. 

It was a FUN time for Ryan and Matthew!!! They loved having their friends over to PLAY and celebrate their birthday!! It was their first BIG party so it was "THE BEST" as they said.

Here is the whole gang!!!


**A special thank you to my sister for taking all the pictures. Thanks Alicia!!!!**

5 comments:

Shiloh said...

So fun! This looks like my kind of party. How many kids don't like the opportunity to run around like crazy people?:)

Unknown said...

Looks like ya'll had a blast, wind or not :) We've done a few parties in our backyard as well, and the kids always seem to love them. Good job on this one, I'm sure some very special memories were made!
-Molly
www.justalittlecreativity.com

lisacng said...

I love your go with the flow spirit because personally I'd be bummed by the weather. What a great example for me :). And you're right, it doesn't take much to please kids. They just wanna have fun, and that they did! Love all that stations out back and the decorating station inside. What a large group of kids! Go momma! (visiting from While Wearing Heels)

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

What an incredibly fun party. I am in shock you got that fabric garland on clearance for $1.88. What a steal! I love that the kids were mostly barefoot and enjoying simple pleasures of life. what a fun time!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Looks like everyone had a blast at this party! So many fun activities!