Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lemon Sugar



Sugar and spice make everything nice, but sugar and citrus make gift-giving delicious.


Aren't they beautiful?!?!

I was digging around the other day in search of something I had misplaced.  I know I recently saw it and now can't remember where!  Don't you hate when that happens? And I still have not found it!!! 

While looking in my china cabinet drawers I came across something I had torn out of a Hallmark Magazine in the March/April 2007 edition.  Seriously!  2007!!! I could not believe I found this.  I bet at one time I was looking for it too!

I remember tearing it out because I knew it would make a delectable gift!  So I started gathering all my supplies.  I totally forgot about looking for what I was looking for!

I had most everything on hand.  I was set to get started.  First though I wanted to find the article.  I knew I would share this sweet little idea with you all and wanted to make sure to attach a link.  When I printed it out back in 2007 not only did I print a picture of it, but also some super cute tags and recipe card that goes along with it.  So I wanted to share that as well.

I couldn't find it anywhere! Nope!  No luck.

And as I looked I couldn't find "Hallmark Magazine" anymore either.  IF you start searching and find it PLEASE let me know. 

Now lets get started!

I used lemons, but you can use any citrus you like....you'll see the tags in a second, but you could make lemon sugar as well as lime and orange.  And as far as the tags, you are so crafty I am sure you can come up with something as special as Hallmark did!

Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
zest of 2 lemons(or 2 limes or 1 orange)

Zest your lemons first.


Place the sugar and zest into a food processor. Pulse until well blended. Spread mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet for approximately 1 hour to dry.


That is it!!  The heavenly fragrance will fill your kitchen, making your effort feel downright delightful! 

See the little bits of  lemon zest throughout the sugar.


Next fill jars or containers with the lemon sugar.


Attach the labels and a coordinating ribbon and you have a sweet gift.  I used fabric that I cut in strips.  It was what I had on hand and worked just fine!

You could easily copy this down and make your own. 

Recipe card
 These labels I simply cut out and attached to the jars with tape....out of glue dots is not good!!!
Tag for jar
Consider it your go-to gift this spring and summer.  This refreshing sugar is simple to concoct whether you are heading to a brunch at the in-laws, need a last minute get-well gift for a friend, or just want to say "Happy Spring" to someone you love.  And it can used by its lucky recipient in many yummy ways......topping on breakfast-in-bed-worthy pancakes to a substitute for plain sugar in a pound cake recipe, or as a surprising sweetener for iced tea. 


I am so anxious to do the limes and orange next!!! I love the colors for Spring. Or Summer!!!!
My only problem was how to attach the little recipe card. I could always just hand it to the lucky gal, but I thought attached would be cuter.

So I thought I would ask you and see if you have any amazing ideas. Leave me a comment....I would love to hear your ideas!



Lemon Sugar


I hope this has inspired you to make a gift for someone special.  It's iced tea drinking weather here in Texas so these will make perfect gifts!!

5 comments:

Christine said...

What a fun, easy idea. They turned out to be so lovely!

Unknown said...

What a great idea!! Sounds yummy and looks pretty. What's better than that?! I would love it if you would be willing to share at our party going on now-Monday. Thanks.

http://kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/04/link-it-up-thursday-17.html

allisamazing said...

Love it! What a great addition this would be to a tea basket. I am pinning it :)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I make vanilla sugar all the time. Now why am I not making lemon sugar???? I will now! Thanks for telling me how!

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

That sounds so yummy! And what a cute little gift! Perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill