Friday, November 2, 2012

FUN Friday!!!

Happy Friday!!!!!! 


It is the first Friday of the month and that means donuts around here.  So right off the bat we are starting our day with FUN!!!!

But with donuts you get to watch one of your favorite cartoons!!!! 



And the fun sure does not stop there!!!!

I am happy to say we have finished a full week of school and it was a GREAT week of school!!! 
Structure/set schedule IS THE KEY for me and my little guys!!!!!

I know you are saying, but it is Friday, don't you still have one day left of school this week???  Well technically yes, but the way our curriculum works is Fridays are for learning OUTSIDE!!  Fridays are a day to take a nature walk and then do a nature study on what we saw/found.  A little less formal than the rest of the week. 

Today we will learn about the tree in our front yard.  A White Oak.  It produces acorns that I just adore! OK, I adore ALL acorns!
BTW, did you know the acorns are dropping like CrAzY this year??  Southeast Texas is experiencing a deluge of acorns from its oak trees this year, perhaps caused by last year's severe drought.  Oak trees are dropping acorns at a rate of five to 10 times normal.  I can sit on the porch and listen to them fall just like I could sitting listening to the rain.  And all around us are Live Oaks as well. 
Remember this is our view sitting on our porch.........

Scientists says, we often see increased production in mast when we are experiencing drought, especially like the one we had last year," said Matthew Weaver, a regional urban forester with the Texas A&M Forest Service. "The trees are trying to perpetuate their species so they expend energy in producing their seed."
In other words, last year's drought may have provided a cue to oak trees to be fruitful and multiply. Whatever the reason I LIKE IT!!!  The acorn crafts are endless over here!!!!

Hmmmm, this also makes for a great nature study....ACORNS!!! 

Anyway back to FUN Friday and our FUN school day.  After nature we then spend our late afternoon all piled up on the couch to reading books.  It is AMAZING!!!!  See more FUN on Fridays!!!! 

Later this evening the boys will go spend the night with my parents!!  Double FUN night! 

The boys get to enjoy a night with Grams and Pop and we get to enjoy some time catching up on projects around the house!!!!! 

Speaking of projects, we will continue to work on the door in our kitchen leading out to the garage. Just wait until you see what I do with this nasty dog door in my kitchen!  It is a work in progress, but it is getting close!!!!  I'll post about it soon.

Now back to the FUN Friday sleepover....it is most enjoyable living close to family.  I love when they call to invite the boys over for a sleepover. 
NOTE to other local family members: the boys' schedule is open right now if you would like to set up a sleepover.  If you have lost our number to schedule a time leave me a comment and I can contact you. ((insert ornery grin here))

So what is on your agenda for this Friday???

Whatever you decide to do make sure to get OUTSIDE and have some FUN!!!!

No comments: