Thursday, January 10, 2013

Glorious Morning Muffins

I love a good muffin for breakfast.  Or a snack.  Or for lunch, supper or just because.  Muffins would make a great snack for the boys, but they do not feel muffins are sweet enough.

I always tell them muffins are not suppose to be as sweet as say, a cookie.  So they might try my muffins, but rarely love them and ask for more.

If you are the same way then you will probably not like these.  I think they have just enough sweetness for me in the morning.  Perfect with a banana or a cup of yogurt.

I found this recipe on the back of the Gold Medal unbleached flour package.  I adapted it a little and they still turned out perfect!  I used milled flour my sweet SIL graciously gave me to try.  And replace the raisins for cranberries.

Glorious Morning Muffins
~Makes 18 muffins~

2 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
Lots of good stuff in this batter!
1/4 cup milk                                                                
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots(2 to 3 medium)
1 cup shredded peeled apple
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins ( or cranberries)
3/4 cup sliced almonds

Heat oven to 350. Use paper liners or grease muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, milk and vanilla with a wire whisk until well blended. Ass flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in carrots, apple, coconut, raisins and 1/2 cup almonds. (I forgot and mixed them all in)
Divide batter among muffins cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup almonds over batter.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.

I think all muffins are better after cooling for a few minutes. Then eat and enjoy your labor.

Happy Thursday y'all!


                                  

1 comment:

Blissful & Domestic said...

Those are my type of muffins. I can't wait to try them out;)