Thursday, January 17, 2013

Habits-Reading!

 At the end of December I deactivated my account on Facebook. Oh how I miss seeing pictures of friends (and their sweet children!) and hearing all the comings and goings of their lives.  I truly do, but it was time for a break.  A much needed break and it is proving to be a good idea. I got rid of a time wasting habit (for me at least) and developed a new one......reading books!!!

Before the second week of January was even over I was already done with my second book!  This may not seem like a big deal to most, but this is CRAZY BIG for me!!!!  I can't tell you how many books in the past I have started reading and never finished.  Well not this year....at least I hope not this year.  I feel like I am on a roll and I need to feed that hunger!  A new habit?

These are my most recent books to FINISH! (one I started at the end of December).


The Hole In Our Holiness and Eyes Wide Open.  Both great books.

And these are my next three to read.
One Thousand Gifts , 31 Days of Praise and Give Them Grace.  I started on Give Them Grace...OUCH!  In a good way.  It about Christian parenting.  And as the cover says, "Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus".  I have heard many good things about the book for years and am finally getting around to reading it.

One Thousand Gifts has been on my mind for at least 2 years. I always wanted to read it, but also wanted to make sure I seriously sat down and truly took in every word it had to give. I feel like now is that time. You may remember the video when the book came out.
Go HERE for the link to a blog post where I shared the video. I can't wait to get started on that one!

31 Days of Praise is not a new book.  It is one I pulled out of my basket of devotion books.  It was given to me by a friend years ago when we were going through the trails of trying to conceive.  It brought me great comfort during those hard times.  There are pages I have marked and paragraphs underlined throughout the book.  And through the years I have gone to those special pages of the book to remind of things I read. I highly recommend it for a look at how we can always Praise God...even during the trails.  I intend to read it again in March as part of my daily morning time ( 5 O'Clock Club ).

I have heard before it is easier to get rid of an old habit when you replace it with a new one......well, it just may be true.

What are you reading these days?

3 comments:

Renee said...

Good for You!

championm2000 said...

I know I need to give up or at least scale back Facebook, but...

(okay, I can't think of a good reason for not doing it)!

As a former English teacher, it is appalling how little I read for pleasure.

The Circle Maker and One Thousand Gifts are both on my list.

Meagan Dennison said...

You are going to LOVE Give Them Grace. Life changer, for sure.