Monday, February 18, 2013

Infantile Scoliosis-The Ride Continues

The Free Dictionary describes a roller coaster as such......

a roller coaster-
a situation which changes suddenly and often between being good and being bad.
nervous, thrilling, excited, scared, joy, anxious, invigorating, mind-boggling-a never ending sweet dream turns nightmare every 6-9 months!!!!

Good and bad....the feelings I have felt through this journey with Ryan as he has had to deal with Progressive Infantile Scoliosis since January 2006. 

I will not go into all the background of Ryan's journey, but if you are interesting just click on the "Infantile Scoliosis" tab above.

His appointment last week was not what we were praying for.  After a long while out of a brace his spine had been measuring between 11-15 degrees. The xrays taken were from 6-9 months apart and were consistent enough for his doctor to allow him to stay of out the brace.

But last week there was a change. 

The numbers really do not matter when you can see the change on the xray.  And that is what I saw.  A slight change, but a change none the less. A sign any mom who has a child with scoliosis does not want to see.

His doctor was not too terribly alarmed, but wants to proceed with caution.  He wants to see Ryan back in 6 months instead of 9-12 months.  He commented this could be nothing, maybe Ryan's new normal.  But only the xray in 6 months will truly tell us that. 

So for now we continue life as usual.

Doing nothing?  I feel so helpless, but there really is nothing we can do. 

Well there is......we can pray.  He can play and be a normal (almost eight years old) little boy.  He can go to bed with nothing but a tshirt on and wake up with just that tshirt on.

When and if he does have to go back into a brace it would more than likely be a night time brace.  I try not to think about crossing that nasty bridge right now.  I just can't!!!!  I know the look in his eyes when he hears the word brace.  I know the feeling he had for that hated brace before.  And I am pretty sure it would be the same now.  I can't think about the begging and pleading to take it off or the cries to not put it on yet.  I just can't think about it.  NOT! RIGHT! NOW! 

I was angry and hurt for Ryan last week.  But this week I am over it because I know it is in God's hands.  I will not sit and fret over it.  I will not be angry because of this almost defeating news. 

I will not let Scoliosis define our lives!

If you are here researching Infantile Scoliosis ACT NOW!!!!  Research! Research! Research!  Dig, ask questions and keep digging and asking questions. If you don't get an answer, ask someone else!  If you have a gut feeling about your child's spine get it checked on NOW!!!

And make sure to visit The Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program .  Join the support group too!!!
If you have any questions please feel free to send me an email or leave me a comment.

AWARENESS IS KEY FOR EARLY TREATMENT!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh dang it! I'm so sorry! I can't even imagine. But I'm glad for the gift of the next 6 months! I'll keep you all in my prayers.

tiffiny said...

For some reason, your blog won't accept comments from me. I hope this one goes through so you know I have been praying for Ryan and your family. ((Hugs))

Tasha said...

Thank you so much ladies. We'll get through it and try to enjoy the ride regardless.

Angelia said...

I see you riding your roller coaster Tasha, with your hands raised high, hair blowing and you trusting that God hears your laughter and screams at each mountain or valley, twist and turn. No better way to ride that roller coast friend! I will remember your sweet sons bones in my prayers. ❤Love, Angelia in TX

Angelia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tasha said...

Thank you for your kind words Angelia. It means so much!

Heather Nelsen said...

Tasha I am praying for you and for Ryan that these next 6 months will go by quickly and that you will feel God's peace every time you start to fear. Waiting is never easy, but God's picture is so much bigger and clearer than what we can see! Praying for you friend!
-Heather

Tasha said...

Thank you Heather. That means so muc to me. ((HUGS))