Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Beach Inspired Summer Wreath

I am in love with my Beach Inspired Summer Wreath.

 
And the colors look great on our red door. 


A few mental notes:
1. Burlap is hard to work with.
2. If one tutorial doesn't work, try another.
3. When wreath turns out the way you dream it would keep telling yourself, "It was worth the hot glue gun burns and blisters".

If you have been following my blog recently you know exactly what brought this inspiration on.....yep, the BEACH.

We had lots of little seashells from our recent day at the beach so I knew those would be perfect.  The shells along with fabric on clearance and my wreath was born.

The fabric: a dark chambray, an ocean stripe (swooning over) and burlap.   



I had been wanting to make something with burlap for a long time.  I knew I wanted to make rosettes out of the burlap.  What I did not know was how hard it would be to work with.  Seriously. You cut it and it starts fraying.  The more I worked with it the more it unraveled.  And making the rosettes were even harder.  I bet I watched at least 5 videos on YouTube and just could not get it.  I found tons of blogs with picture tutorials too, but I still could not get it.  I had just about given up on the sweet little rosettes and decided I would search again.  BINGO!  I found a video that was easy enough for me.  It was so simple I almost didn't get it!  But I plugged in my hot glue gun, had my laptop handy and followed the video. 

I GOT IT!!!!  Finally.  And I got burns and blisters on my thumb and index finger!  OUCH!!!!!

Sadly after making these two little rosettes my fingers were killing me and I could not make anymore.  If you are rosette challenged like me try THIS video before you give up.  I wish I had taken a picture before I glued them on.  They are kinda flat and the slight unraveling adds the character I wanted for this easy going beachy themed wreath.  If you do not like that look you can always trim the strays.


Once these were made I started wrapping my Styrofoam wreath with the fabric.  I didn't want clean lines of fabric so I tore strips about 1-2 inches wide.  The frayed fabric went great with the burlap.  I did the same with the dark chambray.


After it was all wrapped I added the rosettes, seashells and a SUMMER banner.  The banner is nothing special. Taupe colored card stock and string.  Oh and scissors and a marker.  Maybe one day I'll own one of those nifty electronic cutting machines.  For now this was easy enough.

Isn't it fabulous?
I am pleased with how it all came together and my new found skill of making rosettes.  As I sit on the front porch and glance over at my wreath I smile and think of the beach.  And am planning another day there very soon. 

Happy Wednesday to you.

What's hanging on your front door during the summer?

Texas Women Bloggers

Texas Women Bloggers


12 comments:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Your burns and blisters were worth it. Your beach inspired wreath turned out beautiful. It makes me want to pick seashells.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE burlap and wondered how easy it was to make those awesome rosettes... guess it's not so easy:) They sure do look great on your summer wreath. So cute!!! I need something on my door beside little handprints ~ thanks for the inspiration.

Tasha said...

Thanks so much Amy!
Thanks Kelsey, It never even crossed my mind how hard it would be. I am glad I stuck it out though.

Angelia said...

Yea! You are getting artsy and crafty! I am ready for Tashaspration! I have been tring to dream up, hopes of a sea shell summer wreath too. Your burlap rosettes have me dreaming again.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh my gosh! That is so pretty and I love that beachy striped fabric! Burlap...it is a mess to work with, but your wreath is so worth it!

Jessica K said...

Stopping by from the Sweet Tea Social! LOVE the wreath, but man I am with you. Burlap is a MESS!! Awesome job!

Tasha said...

Thanks Jessica. The wreath was fun to make. I will not let burlap get the best of me :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Taylor Bradford said...

I love this wreath!! So fun! And summery!

Ashley said...

Beautiful wreath with beach inspiration -and perfect for Summer!

PS-Would love to have you link this up to our Summer Wreath Challenge at http://www.applesbyashley.com/2013/06/make-along-monday-link-up.html

Tasha said...

Thanks Ashley! Going to check out the link up now. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Moorethanamommy.wordpress.com said...

This wreath is so adorable! I love how you incorporated the sea shells! Too cute!

Unknown said...

This wreath definitely says beachy/summer! Well done!
Thanks SO much for linking up to Make Along Monday's June Summer Wreath Challenge! I hope you pop back over in July to link up a nautical project!