Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gardening School

I thought I would update on our "Gardening School".  It is GROWING!!!!  The squash and nasturtium(edible flower)are the big hits so far.  Everything else is just thinking about it.  The boys are not as "into it" as I had hoped, but they do like to check on it everyday.  They like to show me how much things have grown and love to show me all the weeds that  "I" need to pull.  I suppose for a five year old they are showing an interest in it.  I don't mind the weed pulling either.  Dealing with plants, flowers, dirt......God's creation.....is truly therapy to me.  I love getting my hands in the soil and working with it all.  It calms my spirit.  I have been known to sit with the boys and dig in their dirt box.  Just digging in the dirt.  Mostly looking for WORMS!
Anyway a few weeks ago we also added another tree to the back yard.  All of the landscape in our yard has been done by us.  OK mostly my dear, hard working husband.  And it is not easy.  The soil around here is like digging in concrete.  Brant has had the grueling task of digging at least 15 holes with all we have planted in the last 10 years.  This most recent tree he started digging and hit a pipe.  It was a pipe to the sprinkler system, but thankfully he did not destroy it and we were able to move the hole over just a tad.  After using different shovels and tools that I am not familiar with, Brant was able to dig through all the rock and clay soil.  We now have a beautiful Lace Bark Elm to add to our other list of trees.  In the Fall we will add more, but for now we will concentrate on trying to keep up with watering in the HOT months to come.
And for now I will look forward to a squash quiche and a green salad with the nasturtium on top.
Gardening School will continue...........


1 comment:

Janet said...

AH! So glad you have a new computer!
I love the fact that y'all are into the gardening so much, (you know we like it home grown on a grand scale:)--you need to move on over here so we can put up our gardens together, but you have to not be afraid of a pressure cooker:)
and from your previous post about "non-allowances"-we incorporate the same rules--you don't get paid for cleaning your own room--are our kids going to hate us:)
Love your new background, to!