Tuesday, September 6, 2011

School Snacks-Popcorn

I am getting ready for school this week.  Part of that fun is coming up with meals and snacks for me and the boys.  I have no idea how our days will go until we actually start.  BUT I am planning ahead now.

I want to have easy snacks on hand, but they must be healthy. 

I have seen this popping method before on blogs and over the weekend we decided to give it a try.
Popping in a brown paper bag.  That's it!

It worked!  I am so glad I tried it! Because approximately 3 minutes later I had fresh, fluffy, whole-grain popcorn that had NO oil, salt, sugar, or any other of those disgusting additives. I'll admit it had no taste, but I was fine with it.  When I know something is better for me I can eat it.  The boys on the other hand wanted flavor.

So I lightly seasoning it with salt.  That did not stick at all.  Next time a little oil and then salt. They ate it anyway.

I will never waste my money on those store-bought microwave bags ever again.

Here is what we did:

Ingredients

  • ¼ cup popcorn kernels, preferably organic
  • Brown paper lunch bag
  • Optional: Melted butter, oil, and/or salt

Directions

  1. Pour the kernels into the brown paper bag.
  2. Tightly fold over the top three or four times. No tape or staples are necessary.
  3. Put it in the microwave and start it on high for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
  4. Listen for the popping to slow down to 3 or 4 seconds apart at which point you will take it out of the microwave. This happened long before 3 minutes for me....just listen as we know all microwaves are different. 
  5. Pour popcorn into a bowl and drizzle with melted butter or spritz with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt. If you don’t use oil or butter the salt won’t stick.
Quick and healthy snack for the boys on school days.  Or any other day!

3 comments:

Blissful & Domestic said...

I love popcorn as a snack, but kind of forget about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could do that. Hooray for healthy snacks!

Jamie Boros said...

My friend makes it with olive oil. Not sure if she does this bag popping or not, but she says it's yummy with olive oil. I had no idea you could pop popcorn like this! Awesome!