Thursday, September 8, 2011

School Snacks(for the teacher)-Banana Nut Bread Cookies



Teachers need a snack too!  I would like to share these with the boys, but for some reason they think they taste too healthy.

I tried people.....I really tried to make a healthy cookie for my children, but it just did not work. 

My first attempt at these cookies was a complete failure to the boys. I thought they were pretty good.  They had NO sugar at all.  So I tweaked it a little and came up with the recipe I am sharing today.

These can be my very own special teacher's snack.  Oh and the principal too!  He likes them as well.

My first thought when I tasted the cookie was....banana nut bread.  Brant thought the same thing.  So the banana nut bread cookie was born.

These will be a perfect mid-morning snack when we break for "recess".

Banana Nut Bread Cookies:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • ¾ cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4 raw sugar
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 mashed banana 
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted
  • 1 egg
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ cup chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease a cookie sheet.
  2. Whisk together the flour, oats, coconut, raw sugar, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer beat the mashed banana, honey, butter, egg, and vanilla.
  4. While beating the mixture on a low speed add the dry ingredients until well blended.
  5. Fold in the nuts. 
  6. Drop onto prepared cookie sheet with a spoon. Bake for 8 – 9 minutes or until they start to brown.
 Not too sweet...somewhat healthy and perfect for a light breakfast or mid morning snack.


What do you snack on while teaching?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

We will be trying these!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Featuring YOU over on my blog today! :) Yum!

Ginger

http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2011/09/back-to-school-link-party-features_26.html