Thursday, October 27, 2011

Homemade Mod Podge



 
I had wondered if Mod Podge could be made at home.  After linking up yesterday on another blog I found where a crafty gal made her own. 

Well the crafty gal I long to be knew I could do it too!!  And save money.  All you need is glue, water and a container to put it in.  I had all three! 

I mean look at all this glue.  Why on earth do we have all this glue?!  We use glue sticks.


So I had plenty of glue to try it out. 

The recipe I found said 50/50 glue and water.  I found that to be runny compared to the real Mod Podge.  At this point my jar was already pretty full, but I had a little room for more glue.  Still runny. 

Well I suppose that means I better test it out to see if it works. 

I now began my search around the house to see what I could decoupage. 

Found it!!!  Don't you love when you hold on to something because you just know it will come in handy one day?  Well last night was that day!  This was a fruit crate from the summer.  I loved the small size of it and held on to it in hopes it would come in handy.

I also had leftover scrapbook paper from the Mod Podge Pumpkin so I used that up to cover the red and blue color on the crate.

My thoughts on homemade mod podge:  I love the wide mouth jar!  Easy to get into when working with the mod podge.  And what a cute topper and tag!!
The mod podge itself......it will work in a pinch or small project.  I do think I will buy the real stuff for something more important.  Or I may pour some out and add more glue.  Oh and the homemade stuff doesn't have that yummy smell the real stuff does.

In any case I am glad I gave it a try.  I may continue searching for other variations of the recipe. 
It's always fun trying new things!

No comments: