Monday, November 7, 2011

Decorating with Acorns-Part 1

I told you I would share ways I like to decorate with acorns.  At this time of year as nature changes I like to use what God gives us to decorate our home.  It makes it look warm and inviting plus you get to see that beauty of the outdoors, indoors.


WARNING: Make sure to inspect all acorns for holes.  Throw any with holes back in the yard for the squirrels. Or bake them to get rid of insects.  I did not take the time to bake any of these acorns and am finding little worms coming out to see what our house is all about. If you are short on acorns you can hope to kill the worms by baking them out.  I will probably go back and bake mine regardless.
Use an old cookie sheet to dry acorns in a warm oven and destroy any remaining insects. Layer the cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spread the acorns out in a single layer. Heat in warm oven, no more than 175 degrees, for several hours. Be sure to check them often and turn the acorns to prevent them from burning.

Now here are a few ways I am decorating with acorns this year.

One of my favorite ideas is so simple your child can do it for you.  Simply walk outside, grab some acorns and place them in a basket.  These are the big acorns from our Burr Oak tree. This basket sits by our backdoor.  Nothing special, but I love the simple look of the acorns in the basket.  I added a piece of scrap material to the basket and tossed in the acorns.  No money spent!



This arrangement I used both sizes of acorns.  They are from the Burr Oak and the Red Oak.  I used a big vase and placed a votive down inside.  Then placed all the acorns around the votive candle.  I love this simple look and it only cost me 26cents.  The votive was on sale at Hobby Lobby.  I had everything else.



And my last acorn decorating idea is so stinking easy I could laugh!!!! And it makes me smile because I love Mason jars.  These would be perfect for those nights sitting out on the patio after dark. 

Red Oak acorns in a Mason jar with a candle in the middle.  Simple and sweet.  And I did not spend a dime!!!  Had everything in my stash!

Decorating for the changing seasons is a great time to look outdoors.  And can be done without spending much money at all.  Look around outside and see what changes are going on with nature.  Then look around your home and discover how you can put the two together. 

I'll be back again this week with another idea for decorating with acorns.

Happy Monday!!!!

No comments: