Thursday, November 3, 2011

Painted Acorns

Oh blue, you make my heart HAPPY!


A few weeks back I mentioned sharing how I use acorns around the house to decorate during the fall months.  This is a completely new idea, but I will share my others next week. I am excited about these because they will stick around for years!

I think I lost my mind on this one, but they turned out SO sweet!!!!  Loving the blue!

Here is what you will need:
acorns
paint
paint brush
glue


I first gathered up a bunch of acorns. You want to make sure you get the tops too. Find a top on the ground if you have to. It will fit. And you will glue it on anyway.

You'll notice I have big and little acorns.  I so wanted to paint the big ones from our Burr Oak tree, but see how the top has that furry looking stuff around it...near the acorn itself?  Well it makes painting really a big mess.  So I decided to go with the little acorns from our Red Oak.  Much easier to work with the top although they are much smaller.

After I have the desired amount of acorns I then start gluing the tops on. Even if they are intact I take them off and glue. I used my hot glue gun. But not a full pump of glue. Just a tad in the top and attach the acorn back in. These little acorn tops fall off so easily so I knew I would have to glue them.

Then I start painting. I used Folk Art craft paint.  I found it in the craft section in Walmart.  This color, which I AM CRAZY about, is Calypso Sky.
Use a color you love!  
After I painted the acorns I then went back and lightly painted on Mod Podge just to give it a top coat.



Allow to dry overnight and then find a pretty glass vase or jar to show off your acorns.  I went back and forth with a dressier short neck vase and ended up with the jar at the top.  It just goes more with our shabby/french country decor.  Plus it matched all my other blues in the living room.

Now get outside, gather some ACORNS and get to painting. 

Oh wait before you get busy with this craft go check out my Guest Post today over at Blissful and Domestic . It has something to do with a certain acorn.

5 comments:

Renee said...

CUTE!

Blissful & Domestic said...

I love the way these came out. I wish we had acorns here. so fun!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Love the blue acorns!

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

Those are too cute! I found you at the Happy Hour link up! I'm your newest follower!

Blissful & Domestic said...

You know I love em'! Thanks for linking up Tasha! Oh and hey we made a Thankful tree today and have your leaves on display. My kids love the ones your boys wrote. They also made the Autumn booklet you sent. so fun! Thanks again! You guys are The best penpals!