Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Biscuits

Seriously,  I can not believe how simple these are to make. I never knew! To think I have been buying those things in a can for years.  We don't eat biscuits that much, but when we did I bought the ones in a can.

Well NOT anymore!!!  I will never buy can biscuits again!

Nothing beats homemade!

If you have been following my blog since the new year you know I have been on a mission to make more things homemade. 

I have a list of things I have either always wanted to learn to make homemade OR things we eat often that I want to learn how to make homemade. 

Whatever the reason every time I make homemade I am amazed I never tried it before.  And the homemade biscuits were just the same.

I think we might be eating them more often now!   Actually we have had them twice in less than two weeks!  You could say my family likes them.  And really you can't compare homemade biscuits to the can biscuits.

I found this recipe in my old Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.  I looked for the same recipe online through Better Homes' site, but it seems they have changed it up a bit.  I will give you the "old" one.
Older recipes are usually better anyway.

These took me about 10 minutes to prepare and then 10 minutes to bake.  I end up getting 12 biscuits...the recipe says 10. 

If you have never made homemade biscuits you must try these soon!  Fresh from the oven with butter and honey or smothered in a sausage gravy, your family will thank you!


Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup milk

In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in butter till mixture looks like coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the center; add milk all at once. Stir just till dough clings together.
On a lightly floured surface, kneed dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat down to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts.
Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet. Bake in a 450 oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden.

NOTE: I use the top of a Mason jar as a "biscuit cutter".

The part on the right of course.


I made a pan of 12 last night for supper.  This is what was left.  They love them!

I wonder who will get this last one?

10 comments:

Angelia said...

Thank you for the biscuit recipe. They look fluffy and light. You have been inspiring in the kitchen. I love it! May you and your family be safe and dry this super rainy day. Hug, Angelia in Tx

Tasha said...

Angelia, thanks so much for your kind words. You guys stay warm and dry as well....this rain is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE biscuits!!! It's awesome how you are making so many wonderful homemade things. I made homemade granola bars and a double batch of oat waffles today ♥ Love the satisfaction it brings:) Can't wait to see whats next on your list...

championm2000 said...

Silly question from a non-cook...where do you find cream of tarter in the grocery store?

Angelia said...

Hello again, I was up later making my hubby a birthday sign and remembered your hubby and his twin have a birthday around my husbands. I hope your love has a special day. My sweety will be the big 40. I will be making him these biscuits while he is off and going to try the cheesy bread next week. A happy wife, Angelia in TX

Blissful & Domestic said...

These look great!! Love all your recipes!!

Heather Nelsen said...

Yummy! I want to try these right now!! :)

championm2000 said...

In case you missed my update on FB--I made these biscuits tonight!

Out of 12, all but three have been eaten...I had to hide the rest so we could have them for breakfast
:-)

Unknown said...

Visiting from Mame Musings, love this recipe, can't wait to try these biscuits, they look yummy. Thanks Tasha.

Angelia said...

I made your fluffy good biscuits today for our empty tomb biscuits. They were yummy! Thank you again. Rejoice and be glad for our savior lives! Happy Easter, Angelia in TX