Thursday, March 29, 2012

Baking Soda Air Freshener


Simple, homemade and inexpensive.  Perfect for this frugal gal!!!!



I was searching for natural air fresheners and came across this.  And when I did I knew I had to give it a try.
This is the perfect way to freshen up a room.  And the pretty paper makes it FUN!  Think of all the cute scrapbook paper out there.  You could have a different one for every room!!!!

So here is what I used:
Mason jars(any size will do...I used the wide mouth-half pint jars)
baking soda-1/2 cup
essential oil-use your judgement on the amount of drops
scrapbook paper



I started out by cutting the paper.  I used the lid to get the correct size. I traced it on my scrapbook paper and then cut it out.  I did place it in the jar after and attached the ring just to make sure it was the right size.


Next I needed to make holes in the paper.  I didn't have really big needles and did not want to go spend the money on any so I made do.  Check it out.

I used the biggest needle I had to make the holes.  Then I went back through every hole with the end of my seam ripper.  It worked perfect!


Now it is time to add the baking soda and oil.  I used half a cup of baking soda for each jar.

At first I used a lavender essential oil and added 8 drops. Way too much for me!!

~But remember I get headaches very easily from scents so you may be able to handle that much.~

At that point the lavender smell was way too strong for me so I switch to a citrus oil. 

Ahhhh, grapefruit!  So refreshing.  And just what my nose/head could handle.  I use Aura Cacia essential oils.  Citrus oils are my favorite......grapefruit is amazing!

The second time around I was a little unsure of the amount to use for the drops. So I went easy on them this time...4-5 drops. You can always go back and add more.  After you add the oil place the new paper lid and tighten the Mason jar ring on.  Give the jar a little shake to mix the baking soda and oil.  Shake the jar every once in a while to move those oils around.  And as needed add more oil.

Smaller rooms may need less oil and bigger rooms more.

BUT I used about 10 drops in this one

~LITTLE BOYS' BATHROOM~

It is in the boys' bathroom which is also the bathroom that is for anyone else that might come over.  And it is small.  If you have little boys like mine then you know they are not very neat and tidy when they use the potty.  To just be blunt.....their bathroom stinks.  I am always looking for ways to make it smell better.  SO for this one I added more.  I'll let you know how it truly works.

Now doesn't that look nicer than some air-freshener you might buy?  And I just love the jar with the paper.  Who am I kidding I LOVE all jars!

I have a thing for Mason jars, but that is for another post.
Now to make one for the boys' bedrooms, our bathroom, our bedroom, the kitchen, living room, one for the hall as people come in, etc. 

The pretty blue one is sitting on my desk.  And there it will stay. 


Source: Smashed Peas and Carrots

5 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a great idea and so cute! Thanks for sharing this.

Shiloh said...

That is such a good idea! I think we'll definitely try this. Thank you!

anieb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think I'll be heading out to shop for jars, paper and oils this weekend! Great idea!

Deana said...

Great tips visiting you via Happy Hour:)