Friday, June 14, 2013

FUN Weekend-Relax, Father's Day and Mango Salsa

Happy Friday to you. 

The boys and I are looking forward to a S   L   O   W  morning after Grow Camp this week.  We plan to RELAX today and take it easy.  This evening we plan to RELAX and take it easy.

I should have added "Grow Camp Update" in the title because I must share.  I am so stinking proud of my boys!  After four days of going to a fine arts camp the children showed the parents how they had grown.  We had the privilege last night of seeing first hand what all the children learned this week.  I must first apologize for these pictures.  I totally forgot my camera and had to use my cellphone.  So these are NOT great pictures.  But like any proud Momma I will share them anyway. 

Just a recap of what the boys picked to learn about.  Ryan-guitar and piano.  Matthew-art and drama.

First up #1.  He did AMAZING on the piano.  Playing a solo for the whole crowd minus that blue dot on his head.  He played "Happy Birthday" and it truly was good!  By the way that was my choir teacher many years ago that taught him piano for four days.  He was nervous, but knew his stuff and performed perfectly.  Matthew said he played the best out of everyone.  Later in the program all the guitar students played together.  They learned 3 chords on the guitar this week.  I know nothing about guitar, but the teacher said this was hard work for little hands.  Needless to say Ryan is ready (and Matthew) to learn more on the piano first, then guitar later. 
 
And #2 did just as I knew he would......he soared with drama!  Art?  That's a given.  All the art students' worked was displayed and a few took a mic telling how fun the week had been.  But drama was the hit for Matthew!  He was in two skits last night.  The skit was done in several ways-Country, British, Valley Girl and hamming it up with MAJOR drama.  This is where Matthew stole the show.
He had the British accent dead on.  And then came the skit with the dramatic acting.....bottom right picture is Matthew throwing himself onto a character that had died from eating beans.  They were short skits played out by young children so it was pretty funny.  They got tons of laughs.

The boys had a blast this week and will be talking about it for months I am sure.  And already talking about what they will do next year.  It was the first time they have been split up in a class type environment.  It was funny for me to hear them talk about their days and ask questions and nag each other with details.  And of course each day they wanted to meet each and every person the other met.  I guess it is a twin thing.

The boys are now in search of where we can put a piano in this little house.  Thanks for letting me brag on my boys.  Now on with the rest.

Father's Day is Sunday so I wanted to wish my Dad,  Brant, my father-in-law and my four brother-in-laws a very HAPPY FATHER's DAY!!!!!  And all you other SUPER Dads too!!!!!  Enjoy your day. 
And all you Moms, pamper these great guys.  Make their favorite dessert!!  And if they will not let you do the grilling at least be the sous chef for the day.  Make it a FUN day for him.
 
And if he likes spicy salsa make this Mango Salsa!!  Boy oh boy is this good!!!  I took most of the membrane and seeds out of the Jalapeno, but it still had a kick.  Just enough to make you want to keep eating it to avoid the spiciness in your mouth. 


Ingredients

  • 1 ripe mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cup) (See:How to Cut a Mango )
  • 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Jalapeno pepper minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste)
  • 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
  • cilantro, chopped (to taste)
  • fresh lime juice (about half a big lime...I used 3 tablespoons and it was way too much.) 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
**As with any salsa add more or less of what you like best.  I think it could have used a little more mango for my taste.  And I always want more cilantro.  Make it your own.
SO fresh and colorful!!!
 
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being too hot for your taste, you can take a little of the heat off by adding some diced avocado. Enjoy!
This is really easy and takes no time to make.  A quick little appetizer to throw together for any old day, when company is coming over or to take along to those summer BBQs as a hostess gift.


With blue corn chips! 
I hope you all have a great weekend with those amazing Dads!  No matter what you do make sure you get outside and have some FUN!!  If the weather is truly summer where you are maybe get outside in the early morning or early evening.  And have plenty of water to drink.  Just get outside!

1 comment:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

You must be so proud of your boys. What a fun camp. How exciting to have one of your boys play a solo on the piano...and for your other son to have perfected a British accent...love it! Enjoy your weekend!