Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Style-Color in the Home




Our homes are an extension of who we are: what we do within the walls of our abodes shapes our mood, affects our productivity, and influences our outlook on life.  I feel the colors in our home need to bring out our personality. While most of us may not spend a lot of time thinking about colors in a room, it affects every day of our lives. Room color can influence our mood and our thoughts.
I do think entire rooms painted one color can affect our moods and thoughts, but this is more about splashes of color in a home.


This room needed color here and there.  I must have color.  Bright splashes of color make me happy.  Adding color tends to make our style rather unique or maybe eccentric.  Our style is all over the place.  From old French Country to modern pieces here and there and while your at it throw in some country cottage, thrift store finds and recycled treasures (BIG piece of drift wood from the beach).  I do adore old, worn and weathered wood pieces, vintage looking fabrics and lots of different patterns.  But it is essential to also mix bright, clean new lines of color that make a room cheery and FUN!  I have always said every room in our home must have some sort of whimsy.  I think I would become depressed without color (and whimsy) in my little world.

So when this wall started looking like this..............



It was time to add color.  And then the room popped!  It was like it was waking up from a long sleep.  Fully rested and smiling at me.  And I smiled back.


Our living area is a small room and unfortunately the TV is kinda the focal point in the room.   A focal point is the area that demands complete attention as soon as someone enters the room.  It is the "center of attention".  The focal point may be something you add, like a stunning piece of artwork or a rug in an interesting and unique shape. It may also be a feature of the room, such as a mantel, fireplace, grand windows overlooking a garden or in our case an idiot box. 

When you sit in our living room you face the TV.  And the wall looked booooring!  COLOR to the rescue.




 I got my whimsy.
 
All together it is kinda groovy, lots of FUN and down right funky.  And it is my style.

 
 

1 comment:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

I love that you have already added your sign and your painting to your living room. I'd smile if I had those to look at as well. I love the empty frame arrangement and the wire basket with the magazines. Adorable.