Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa


Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo so I have been testing out some of my favorites.  Fresh is the key word.  And this is so fresh! This salsa is a nice change from a red tomato salsa!!!!  It was my first time having tomatillos and I must say I love them.  I followed a recipe from Annie's Eats (source below) but did change it up just a tad. 

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa
Ingredients:
-4-5 medium size tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
-1-2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
-1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped for a less spicy salsa; remove just a few seeds for more spice.
-1/2 to 2/3 cup of cilantro roughly chopped
-1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt
-water to thin as you like.

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender.  I used a blender and pulsed it to a course puree.  You could more if you prefer a not so chunky salsa.  Add water to thin it out if you like.  Transfer to a serving bowl and ENJOY with warm chips.  This makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Notes:
-You could also use 2 serrano peppers.
-You may notice red flakes in my salsa.  I removed all seeds and membrane in the jalapeno and it just was not spicy at all.  So I added red pepper flakes.  It worked. 
-This salsa would be great with the Fresh Lime Margaritas I shared yesterday.

Hope you enjoy!

Source:  Annie's Eats .

No comments: