Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tin Can Wind Sock

Can you believe Memorial Day Weekend is just days away?!  We are super excited for an extra day with Brant and it makes it that much closer to us taking a break from school!!!  For us it also means grilling or firing up the smoker.  Brant will be busy with the meat while me and the boys are busy making homemade ice cream.  But let's not forget the decorating!


I made these last year for July 4th, but they are also perfect for Memorial Day as well.  So I just had to share this craft again.  But first make Black Bean and Corn Salsa .  Making this salsa will give you the tin cans you will need for the craft.  Besides you'll have a snack while you are doing this easy peasy, sorta kid-friendly craft. 

So let's get started.

You can use any type or size of can for this.  And customize it to your liking.  Which BTW I think these would also be FUN with a summer theme.  I'm dreaming of a bright blue can with a rainbow of ribbon on my porch in the very near future! 

So here is what you will need.



Supplies:
-tin cans
-spray paint (I choose white so my stickers would show up better)
-ribbon or material (I had all this in my stash so I didn't bother buying new)
-stickers (unless you can free hand really nice stars)
-hot glue gun
-crafty children are optional

**NOTE**
Make sure if your children are helping with this craft you have filed down any sharp edges inside the cans. 

After washing and drying cans I thought I would let the boys try spray painting.  DISASTER to say the least.  Brant can attest to that with the over spray covering his shop.  I took over at this point.

The boys helped by adding stickers all over the cans.  I used a small screw driver and hammer to make holes in the top for the hanger.  Thread string through the holes and tie off the string inside to hold the tie.  Next I glued ribbon and yarn inside the cans with a hot glue gun......NO burned fingers this time!

And there you have it Tin Can Wind Socks.



            How does your family celebrate Memorial Day? 
I hope you enjoy your weekend.  Make sure to get outside and have some FUN!!




~Inspiration for wind socks HERE

4 comments:

Heather Nelsen said...

Those look GREAT!! Way to go! And I love your front porch- so welcoming! :)

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

How fun and festive. I just pinned to a group board for parties...I hope it brings some traffic your way. AND, I just started following you on bloglovin.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Those are fabulous and festive! Can you believe I have not done one 4th of July project? We'll be spending the 4th in Nashville this year.

Anonymous said...

those are adorable ♥ just might have to make a windsock...